Arch supports are devices that are placed under the feet to provide extra support to the structures of the feet. They are often used to treat foot pain and make standing or walking more comfortable. People of all ages can benefit from arch support, especially those with foot abnormalities, such as flat feet, as well as those with careers or hobbies that require a lot of time on their feet.
If you are on the search for the perfect arch support, know what factors you should look out for.
What To Look For in Arch Supports
The main characteristics that you should look for in arch supports are comfort, fit, support, and durability.
- Comfort: The first thing you should look for in arch support is comfort. This means that the support should feel comfortable when you wear it and that it should not cause any pain or discomfort.
- Fit: The second characteristic to look for is a good fit. This means that the arch support should be the right size for your foot and should stay in place while you are wearing it in a variety of footwear.
- Support: The third characteristic to look for is good support. This means that the arch support will provide enough cushioning and stability to relieve the symptoms of foot pain. Your podiatrist can help you figure out if your arch supports are right.
- Durability: The fourth characteristic to consider is durability. You want arch support that will last long and provide adequate support for an extended period of time. This may mean going with more expensive orthotics with better, more durable materials.
What Are the Different Types of Arch Support?
There are many arch supports available on the market. You can end up spending a long time trying and testing many different models only to be left confused on which one is best for you. Here’s more details on the various types of arch supports to help you narrow down on which ones are right for you.
- Gel Arch Supports: These supports are made from gel material that helps cushion and protect the feet. They can be worn with or without shoes and can help reduce pain in the feet, ankles, knees, and hips.
- Foam Arch Supports: Foam arch supports offer firm yet comfortable support for the feet. They can be worn with or without shoes and help to reduce pain in the feet, ankles, knees, hips, and lower back.
- Air-Filled Arch Supports: Air-filled arch supports offer adjustable levels of firmness, so you can customize your level of comfort and support. They work well for people who have diabetes or other conditions that cause poor circulation in the feet.
- Magnetic Arch Supports: Magnetic therapy is believed by many to relieve pain, increase circulation, and promote healing. Magnetic arch supports use powerful magnets placed over key pressure points on your feet to help alleviate foot discomfort and improve overall foot health.
- Custom Orthotics: Custom orthotics are prescription devices that are specifically molded to fit your unique foot structure. They address problems with alignment, balance, and muscle function by providing targeted support where you need it most. Custom orthotics are by far the best choice of arch support for people who want effective support for their unique foot structure. Custom orthotics are specified according to your foot scan and are only available at a podiatrist’s office.
Custom Orthotics in Cincinnati, OH
The podiatrists at Cincinnati Foot & Ankle Care use 3D scanning technology to create a detailed image of your foot and create arch support only for you that addresses your foot’s unique problems. Your comfort is important to us and with the most advanced technology, we can create an impression of your foot even while you are in a non-weight-bearing position, and the renderings are immediately sent to the laboratory to begin the manufacturing process.